Monday 19 December 2011

Nine lessons & Carole!

In an effort to get into the true Christmas spirit Simon & I went to church on Sunday evening. There was a lovely spiritual Christmas-like atmosphere, but it was also very  entertaining. Was it supposed to be so comical?
We sang all the old favourites. Did anyone in adjacent pews notice me singing descant, as if I was still in the school choir, I wonder? Those top notes sure are hard to reach nowadays. And did anyone notice me starting to sing a verse of O Little Town of Bethlehem that only the choir were supposed to sing? Did I detect some sniggering? I certainly felt the dig in the ribs from my other half.
The choir sang their anthems and carols beautifully including one of my favourites - The Angel Gabriel AKA "Most Highly Flavoured Gravy". At the end of Ding Dong Merrily on High a toddler shouted "hurrah" into the silence of the church and gave a round of applause. Most amusing.
My mobile phone vibrated in my pocket no less than 3 times (thank goodness I remembered to put it on silent), but I couldn't resist checking out my messages. I bet a few of the congregation frowned on me for that.
Carole did in deed read one of the lessons. A well known member of the congregation read the 8th lesson in his characteristic way i.e. as if he was starring in the pantomime. It was a reading from Matthew: The Wise Men were led by the star to Jesus. At this point I had the urge to shout out "Oh no they didn't", but I resisted. However, I did catch Simon's eye - big mistake. We then had a fit of the giggles. Good job we were seated near the back or I think we would have been excommunicated by then.
We set off home for a night cap & a curry and watched the latest film from Lovefilm.com: Winter's Bones. At least I did. Simon gave up on it after 10 minutes and went to bed. I suffered the whole film, because I was sure it would get better - it didn't. Who recommended that one to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment