Wednesday 21 September 2011

A bad case of malapropism

I thought I'd write an update on my new ventures in the gym. I was trying to think of an interesting title for my little piece of prose. The word 'Gymnophobia' came into my head! Luckily I looked it up in the dictionary first. It's true I don't like looking at myself naked in the mirror (Does any woman my age?). Does that make me gymnophobic?
When ever I get my vocab. wrong I am reminded of my dear Auntie Olive and how she declared in public that she was 'ravishing' - she meant 'ravenous'.

Anyway, back to the subject of the gym. I think I may be good enough to enter the next Oxford/Cambridge boat race. I have discovered that I have been setting the rowing machine resistance level much higher than I thought. You can set it between 1-10. I was under the impression that 10 was the least resistance and therefore the easiest. However, whilst ear wigging a gym trainer, who was inducting someone to the gym the other day, I noticed he started the newcomer (half my age) on number 3 and was telling her how she could build up gradually to 4 or 5 over the next few weeks. Well - I am on number 8! My biceps are going to be very well developed at this rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment