Thursday 1 September 2011

More firsts

I have joined the local gym. Apart from a VERY brief visit to a tiny gym in Centreparcs with Amber a couple of years ago I have never set foot inside a gym. It took the young lady 1 1/2 hours to do my induction session, because I literally had no experience of any of the equipment and wanted to try everything out. I've been there with Simon 3 days in a row now and have to admit I am enjoying it. I wonder how long it will take before the novelty wears off. Have you seen this latest news headline?

Wednesday 31 August 2011 by Waylandsmithy


Gyms urge cash-strapped Britons to ditch mortgages ‘or risk bingo wings’
Gyms throughout the UK have admitted to secretly contacting struggling members, urging them to cut non-essential expenditure such as crisps, mortgages and life insurance.
“Some members are struggling to meet our already reasonable ‘Super Platinum Hero Saver’ membership fees”, explained Dick Heuer, owner of the chain of ‘Rawthighs’ fitness clubs.
“But when you ask them to choose between a roof over their heads or a really ripped set of abs, the choice becomes obvious.”
“That’s why we now let so many of our members live in tents in the carpark.”
Gyms very important say Gyms
Consumer groups have accused gyms of exploiting their customers but Heuer dismissed this suggestion: “Our members will all tell you the same thing: if you can’t bench-press 200 kilos, can you live with any dignity anyway?”
“Our gyms offer all the facilities of the modern home: showers, TVs and special powdered drinks to build massive thighs.”
“Who would honestly choose to own a home, when they could spend every waking hour pounding our treadmills watching BeyoncĂ© videos?”
Gym member Gary Trimble is much happier since he handed his house keys back to the bank and moved into his local club.
“At first, I missed my family, obviously. But since I started spending more time at the gym, I haven’t looked back. In fact, I can barely turn my head at all with my new 23-inch neck.”
Gym membership can also cut down other costs, as Trimble explained: “I’ve been keeping everyone on Facebook up to date with my regime: ‘checking in’ to the rowing machine, ‘Liking’ the sauna.”
“I seem to have encouraged them. My mates must be so busy working out these days that they never answer their phones. It’s saving me a fortune.”

Well I could always live in the caravan!

Yesterday I went in a canoe for the first time with Simon along the River Chelmer at Papermill Loch. I have done sailing before (hold a RYA level 2 certificate), but never canoeing. After my hard work paddling I, of course, indulged in a coffee and large piece of Victoria sandwich. We also discovered a nice little caravan site along by the river and so one day, if we don't want to travel far from home, but want to get away from it all (i.e. the 'children'), we may stay there. We are even considering buying our own canoe. Simon already has a navigation licence for the River Chelmer and is an experienced kayaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment